How to Properly Clean Windows in Boise, ID
A window gives you a beautiful view to the outdoors, allows light in and helps protect the inside of your home from the elements. That means they see a lot of action. From dirt, water and insects on the outside to smudges or pets on the inside, your windows’ glass gets dirty pretty quick. Luckily, cleaning your windows is fairly simple.
You can clean your original replacement windows in five easy steps. Many Pella windows have innovative features that make it easier for you to clean the exterior glass from the inside. Here’s our window cleaning process.
- Brush off your window sills. Get rid of the dirt, dust and whatever else is stuck on the window sills and ledges to prevent smearing the glass later on.
- Now’s the best time to clean the screens, too. Simply run your vacuum’s dusting brush attachment over the side facing in.
- Use a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (make your own with one part white vinegar to 10 parts water), and apply to a soft, clean, lint-free cloth or paper towel. Alternatively, you may use an ammonia-free glass cleaner such as Pella's glass cleaner, Windex® or Sparkle®. Spray the cleaner generously, but try to prevent cleaning solutions from getting on the wood, fiberglass or vinyl frames, as they may discolor the finish.
- Rub from several directions and let air dry.
- Rinse with clean water if streaks remain after cleaning.
For the best view, we’d also recommend cleaning your windows on a cloudy day. The sun can dry the solution too quickly, leaving streaks on your window glass. Your Pella professionals in Boise prefer using microfiber cloths to clean window glass since it’s lint-free and will not leave tiny particles behind.
Your windows could look so clean, you might forget the glass is even there. Now that’s what we call a great view.
Please note: You should not use ammonia- or alcohol-based glass cleaners. These solutions will leave streaks or generate a film that attracts moisture and dust. See your owner’s manual to learn more about cleaning other parts of your wood windows, vinyl windows or fiberglass windows, or call your Pella Windows Showroom in Boise.